Importance of Losing Weight
It is estimated that nearly 70% of adults in America are medically considered overweight or obese. It is a serious issue in the United States, and for good reason. Obesity can significantly raise your risk of arthritis, high blood pressure, sleep apnea or more serious issues like diabetes or cancer. It isn’t only your health at stake, but also your children’s health. You’ve heard the phrase, “obesity runs in the family,” and studies have supported this. It has been shown that being obese influences your children or future children’s risk of also being obese. Given these risks, it just goes to show why we say there is no better time than now to begin losing weight.
How Do I Start Losing Weight?
For many, losing weight can seem like a daunting task; however, it doesn’t have to be. Here are some easy, but effective, steps to help you get started.
- Find your motivation. Find a reason for yourself to stay motivated, focused and accountable. Whether it be a personal goal for yourself, you’re doing it for a friend or family member, find that motivation.
- If you don’t already, start eating breakfast. Breakfast is shown to reduce hunger and cravings, so you snack less throughout the day.
- Add more protein and whole grains to your diet.
- Drink more water. Water helps you lose weight for a few reasons. First, staying properly hydrated helps cure hunger. Secondly, drinking more water means your drinkings less sugary and carbonated drinks. Even cutting your soda consumption by half and drinking water will yield results.
- Start exercising. It doesn’t matter where you begin, even going for a 10 minute walk can help build good exercise habits.
Benefits of Losing Weight
It is no lie that losing weight makes you look better and feel better; however, you may not realize the most beneficial reasons of losing weight. Regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight decreases the number of issues associated with obesity. Exercise lowers your blood pressure and cholesterol. In turn, these things lower your risk of heart attacks and stroke. Additionally, losing weight and maintaining a regular exercise routine will lower your risk of developing certain cancers. If you’re looking for more than just health benefits, losing weight contributes to overall more happiness and exuding more confidence.